On 22 Apr 2008, at 13:26, Hannes Magnusson wrote:
Hei!

The index
(http://docs.php.net/manual/en/indexes.php) should be found a bit easier,
IMO, it's not just one appendice.. :)

Move it to the "PHP Manual" listing at the top maybe?

One problem is this isn't an index of the PHP manual. It's based on php-src/ and part of pecl/ both of which contain a decent amount of undocumented and strange information. And it only contains functions. So until we discuss what we want the index to be, I move we leave it where it's at because it's not worth promoting in its current state.

By default the search looks for 'intro.', 'book.', 'ref.', 'class.'
and then 'function.' prefixes.
The order of those can easily be changed.

I'd like that the search would search in this order (no idea what the magic prefixes might be): function / class / ini option / constant / whole site That would be what I think might be the most common what is been looked
for.

Makes sense, missing a extension name and method name though ;)
However INI and constants options aren't indexed yet

I think the redirecting to ext-intro page for php.net/extname may have
been a mistake, it probably should be the book TOC page (i.e
www.php.net/book.dom rather than www.php.net/intro.dom) like it was
originally.

I agree book.foo should be the first.

The problem was that those "extension frontpages" where _huge_. I mean
really really huge. Browsing pages like the session index or (god
forbid) the sca/sdo was simply impossible.

Well, that kind of pages (IIRC) were in minority, so why not fix them
instead of making it the whole manual extremely inconvenient to use..?

Cause that would cause a major wtf with random extension structure
looking completely different.
This way all extensions use a consistent layout and naming and can
offer much more details than possibly could before.
The only thing we need to do now is to "publish" the new prefixes so
users can start using them (i.e. php.net/classname.methodname,
php.net/extensionname.installation,
php.net/extensionname.configuration) and browse the manual much more
efficiently.

I also like them consistent however we can make a few adjustments like be sure every topic is in the TOC (like Requirements). And one option that I've not fully thought about but will say anyways is adding a page to each section that lists everything. So a user clicks on "I want everything please" and sees config/install/constants/function list/etc... this may be crazy but brain storming often is.

Regards,
Philip