On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 18:31, Daniel Veillard <veill...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 05:03:41PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

>> >   Works for me with the version from git head:
>>
>> Thanks. I was actually using
>>   xmllint --valid --dtdvalid mydtd.dtd mydoc.xml
>>
>> So is --dtdvalid an alternative to --valid rather than a way of using
>> --valid?
>
>  and alternative, as DTD validation as defined in the XML-1.0 spec
> is --valid i.e. validating as parsing based on DOCTYPE contained in
> the document, and --dtdvalid is just a different kind of validation
> closely related, but certainly different, and in subtle case you may
> see different results (but in general it will be the same !)

I did not know that.
This doesn't however seem to be implemented in PHP, Rob... :)

Is this something we can implement? Pretty-please? :)

AFAICT it could help us _massively_ when rendering "standalone
extension" (and possibly per-file) in the documentations.
The "root file" (manua.xml) could still have the DTD attached, but
when rendering a standalone book (extension/reference) we could simply
attach the DTD via "dtdvalid" to get the entities defined in the DTD
(all our snippets) and validate it.

-Hannes