2010/4/24 Christopher Jones <christopher.jo...@oracle.com>

> Christopher Jones wrote:
> >

> > Yannick Torrčs wrote:
> >  > Is it really necessary to allow valid user to save as a patch ?
> >  > Perhaps we can just allow "save as a patch" for anonymous user.
> >
> > Some unification & simplification of processes and terminology would
> > really help.  The difference between "Pending for commit" and "Pending
> > patches" isn't obvious.
> >
> > I think the process should only distinguish between "work in progress"
> > and "complete work".  In the UI I'd label them "Incomplete patches"
> > and "Completed patches".  Anonymous users should be allowed (somehow)
> > to "Save" files so they are in the "Incomplete patches" queue, just
> > the same as an authenticated user.  There should one button (Save),
> > not two (Save & Save as patch).
> >
> > There should be a way to change the patch state from Incomplete to
> > Complete when the author is happy with the content alteration.  In the
> > "Completed patches" queue it should be straightforward for
> > authenticated users to commit.  Completed patches by Anonymous users
> > could also go into the "Completed patches" queue, or to a separate
> > "Contributed Patches" queue.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> This mail expands on what I wrote above, and summarizes for discussion
> a long IRC chat with Yannick.
>
> Chris
>
> -----------------------
>
> The basic process could be reduced for all users to: Save files ->
> Create Patch -> Commit.  Optionally, we could also allow Save files ->
> Commit.
>
> Each file editor only has one "Save" button, and the "Save as Patch"
> button is removed.
>
> "Save" would place the file in a "Save Work" section, grouped by user.
> This section simply means "Here is a file I've edited".  It doesn't
> imply work on the file is finished.
>
> If user #2 tries to save a file that user #1 has already saved, then
> user #2 is shown an error and must contact user #1 about committing &
> releasing the file.
>
> After a few users have saved files the "Saved Work" section could
> look like:
>
>    Saved Work
>      sixd
>        oci8_a.xml
>        oci8_b.xml
>        date.xml
>      yannick
>        spl1.xml
>        spl2.xml
>      Anonymous
>        array.xml
>        session.xml
>        mysql.xml
>
> Each saved file shows a checkbox to only the user who saved it.  There
> is a "Submit as Patch for Review" option that operates on all checked
> files.
>
> A possibile variation is for authenticated users to have an extra
> option to commit the checked files directly.  An Anonymous user would
> only ever have the "Submit as Patch for Review" option.

> [...]

Thanks Christopher for this great summary.

I will start this development.

As it make a lot of change, all translators / editors who have some pending
work (commit or patch) are encouraged to work on it.

When I was ready, I will informe you when I will stetting up the new version
on https://edit.php.net

If you have some comments of all of this, please, make it now ;)

Best,
Yannick