I was asleep for the first 12 hours of this discussion, but I really like
having the mongo extension's documentation in the manual and I hope it can
stay.

I don't want to see the docs site buckle under its own weight or have the
docs maintainers so overwhelmed that the documentation quality suffers, but
I don't think that they can realistically maintain documentation for all of
the extensions anyway, even with the commits going to one place.

One (perhaps) comparable project is CPAN, where all of the developers
maintain their own package's documentation, but it's all hosted on CPAN (so
it can be done and does work).

An alternative, if the doc team just wants easy access to the extension
changes, is that I could do some sort of mirroring so that all of the git
commits are forwarded to SVN.