From: Philip Olson [mailto:phi...@roshambo.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 12:27 PM
To: Jonathan Guerin
Cc: phpdoc@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP-DOC] SQLSRV and PDO_SQLSRV Documentation Patch

On Jul 5, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Jonathan Guerin wrote:

> Update: Sounds like I sent this to the wrong mailing list. Resending to the
> appropriate one!
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Here is our patch for the initial addition of the PHP Manual for the
>> SQLSRV and PDO_SQLSRV extensions.

Overall it looks good and nicely detailed. However:

Please cleanup the whitespace, which should include using spaces instead of
tabs. And the wide line widths makes it difficult to read, so should be closer
to 80 than 300 in length.

And although we have a questionable and non-existent style guide (sorry about
that, our bad):

- A few entities worth using (common for return value descriptions):

  - &null; instead of NULL
  - &true;  ''
  - &false; ''

- Random:

  - <refpurpose> should not contain ending periods
  - Adding output to examples is often useful, and is done using <screen>
within <example>
  - " " where the &example.outputs.similar; entity is useful in cases like this
  - Example within sqlsrv-num-fields.xml contains a parse error
  - You may want to link (and edit) the new install/cloud/azure.xml docs
  - Third-person active voice is preferred (don't worry about this now, too
much work)

And feel free to ask further questions here or casually within #php.doc on
EFNet IRC. The above are common problems for new docs, and I thought all of it
was written down (???) but now I cannot find. Getting old I guess. But, thanks
to your efforts, this will certainly be written down so people in the future
will know from the beginning and perform less work. Again, sorry about that

>> We would love to gather feedback, as well as understand the next
>> steps. Do we simply commit this patch once it is approved?

Yes, you'll commit it then random people (including you, at any time, no
approval needed) will update it in the future.

Regards,
Philip