On 5 February 2013 11:50, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a note on http://www.php.net/manual/en/functions.internal.php
> "Note: If the parameters given to a function are not what it expects, such
> as passing an array where a string is expected, the return value of the
> function is undefined. In this case it will likely return NULL but this is
> just a convention, and cannot be relied upon."
> We introduced a new parameter parsing API, which made this behavior more
> widely supported:
> http://php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php
> "The newer internal parameter parsing API has been applied across all the
> extensions bundled with PHP 5.3.x. This parameter parsing API causes
> functions to return NULL when passed incompatible parameters. There are some
> exceptions to this rule, such as the get_class() function, which will
> continue to return FALSE on error."
>
> I think that the current documentation is lacking in this regard, but I'm
> not sure which would be the best solution to address this.

Whatever happens, we don't want to start adding phrases like "this
function will return null and issue an E_WARNING if you feed rubbish
into it" to any (nearly all!) functions.  Expanding upon that short
paragraph mentioned above might be nice, but I would really dislike
for us to start "fixing" almost every single function's return types
(they would all return "mixed").  I'm sure we've discussed this
on-list previously, I'll take a look at the history.