Dear Doc Maintainers,

​

I am a quite experienced (~ 15 years), professional PHP developer. Ever since,
I have been a heavy user of the chm doc format, greatly appreciating the index,
the search, the favorites, the left-side tree navigation.​

I'm not updating my local version of the chm doc every day or week, so the
changes I'll complain about now might not be the most recent ones.

​

The last version I was quite happy with had of course the section "function
reference", grouped into different subsections.

​

Sadly, I have now overwritten my local version with the new version that is
offered online.

In this new version, the ​"function reference" is a mere page, of course with
the docs still linked, and thus, reachable _somehow_, but:

* None of the functions in the whole function reference is to be found via
index search

* In the full text search, the hits in the result list now are _not_ bearing
the function name​, but some kind of document title.

  The search for "id3_get*" i.e. doesn't show any result starting with
"id3_get​", but instead the descriptive name.

  This descritpive document title is mostly useless: too long ​to be
displayed in a smaller window, bad translations in localized doc versions​

* ​Of course, the very convenient and informative left column tree view of
whole packages is gone :(((

And with it the feature, that, if you click a hit in some result list or in the
index, the tree navigation will follow - and bring you to the appropriate
section/subsection, to find out more about the context of the function you have
been looking for. Very very very convenient and useful, that was ...​

​

I really hope so much that you bring back the real useful previous format of
chm doc with one of the next doc updates - but, honestly, I am afraid that some
​purist nerds talked you into the current format, with arguments like .. hm,
what arguments can one bring forward to enforce such a dramatical degradation
of usability?

​It was useful. It was helpful. It made my work effective. All that is missing
in the current chm doc version.

​​

So, my cry for help is this:

Please tell me, where I can find the latest version of a PHP documentation in
CHM format, with a real usable function reference, with real index search, with
left col tree navigation within the function reference, and all the stuff I
mentioned above. English or german version, with or without annotations - I
don't care, as long as I can have a usable documentation.

​

Thank you so much in advance,

best regards

Thomas