On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:38:01AM +0100, Alexander Burger wrote:
> I think I should change doHear(), to open() with O_NONBLOCK, and then
> immediately call blocking(YES, ex, fd). What do you think?

No, sorry. After some experimentation I notice that this would also not
work properly. 'hear' in combination with fifos only behaves correct in
the current convention (hear (open "fifo")). To get it right in a form
where 'hear' does the open itself, it would need exactly the same code
as in 'open'. Therefore, I would rather reduce the functionality of
'hear', so that from now on it only accepts a file descriptor (and no
longer a symbolic argument). I'll write it into the ReleaseNotes.