Hi Randall,

> display length of something to center it, and that means that you want
> to know the length of the string. Without an encapsulating object, you
> need to recalculate the length often.   For most applications, this is

While this is often useful, I think it will not help here in this
special case of the postscript library.

When "lib/ps.l" wants to center a string, it sends the string and a
formula involving 'stringwidth' and a field width to postscript, and
must let the postscript interpreter do the work, as the Lisp code does
not know the width that a string will finally consume on the printed
page. This depends on many factors like the current font and the font
size.