It worked out OK with the ":key" rule, however in the end I went for
prefuse flare, not processing for my visualizations and was irritated
by having to change (processingjs is too slow) so I skipped the
Actionscript 3 implementation, I'm just outputting JSON in picolisp
now straight away which works just fine too.

/Henrik