On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:29:46PM +0200, Tomas Hlavaty wrote:
> > Well - in a commercial application, not in the Wiki - if he gets hold
> > of the data, then we don't need to worry about the passwords any more
> > :-D
>
> yes, it's all about prevention;-)  Storing plain text passwords is no
> prevention.

But encrypting them creates only an illusion of safety.

We should not waste our time on irrelevant issues. Whether passwords are
encrypted locally or not is just a matter of cosmetics. What really
counts are two issues:

   1. The _whole_ database must be safe from any external access
   2. We must _trust_ the administrator(s) of the machine

It is ridiculous if we talk about allowing changing passwords and/or
sending them via unencrypted mails, and at the same time make so much
fuss about hiding them within the machine. Instead, all effort should go
into protecting the system itself.