Hi Alex,

On 14. Jan, 2015, at 13:09, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
>> I don’t quite get this. I have done as you suggested, (locale "NO"
>> "no") and leading 0, so I can now enter a phone number as 099887766. You
>> say it will be stored internally with leading 47 instead of that 0, but
>
> Right. You see that if you look directly into the DB.
>

>> when I put the mouse over that phone-pencil icon, it seems that
>> "tel:099887766" is what will be used (and that’s also the href I see in
>> the inspector).
>> If I try to dial 022852804 from my mobile, I get "number not in use".
>
> I see. So Norway has different systematics with telephone numbers.
>
> I don't understand them, though. In Germany we have the rule that both
> "0049 123 456" and "+49 123 456" are the same as "0123 456".
>
> A number without a leading zero is a local number (within the same city,
> but that's almost obsolete these days as you can take your number with
> you when you move or change your provider, so you can't rely on that).
>
> The '+TelField' (based on the functions 'telStr' and 'expTel') handles
> this. What are the exact rules for Norway? And how can we handle this
> flexibly?
>
> ♪♫ Alex
> —

I think this page describes Norwegian telephone numbers quite well:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Norway>

It also seems that the Danish numbers are somewhat similar:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Denmark>

I may not be the right person to say how we can handle this flexibly. ;-)
I don’t know if it can be of any help, but here is Google’s common Java, C++
and JavaScript library for parsing, formatting, storing and validating
international phone numbers:
<https://github.com/googlei18n/libphonenumber>

/Jon