I got it! Yes! Thank you Joh. You too Joe, your example helped me a lot!
It really was in the documentation, I just missed it because the opening
paragraph didn't say it explicitly. I guess this is the kind of mistakes
that come from lack of experience.

So, as recap: the 'any argument is the extensor, and it sets what 'lst will
be extended with. And if its not given, it defaults to NIL.