Well, we have year 2020, not Dijksra 1978. Even embedded systems have a MMU
and you get "Memory Access Violation", so no pointer rage checks needed to
be handled by CPU any longer. Those formerly needed range checks, eating up
clock cycles, now are deeply sticking in MMU and IOMMU ... Bang! -
Exception!

Also reading about modern "multi generational garbage collectors" will
explain, why garbage collected (functional, pure OO) languages have kept up
with C/C++ statically machine code. Julia language, sitting on FemtoLisp
JIT engine, in some times even ist faster than C.

Have fun!