If you are building your own pilboxes, it seems like the easiest way for now would be to add the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag to the app manifest, or bump the target API version down to 28:

https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/use-cases#opt-out-scoped-storage

If you are using the Play Store version, that we might have to lobby Alex to make an update that sets this flag, which he should be able to do as long as he has not already set the the target API version of the published app to 30. If a version with target API 30 has already been published then we are past the point of no return.

To cooperate with the storage access framework past API 29 is very tricky. Termux recently abandoned their Play Store distributed version and is only distributing through F-Droid in the future for just this reason (so they can continue targeting an older API version that does not yet enforce these restrictions). Pilbox may need to consider such a course for the future, if Alex isn't already doing it.

-wilhelm