On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:51 AM <andr...@itship.ch> wrote:

> In which practical use case do you ever need such an abhorrent nesting of
> quotes?

it's not a question of practical use but compatibility and tradition, also
a question of semantics

> But I'm having doubts about this being not just a superficial theoretical
> whim, are there really any lisp dialects between which general lisp
> knowledge is enough to be effective, without studying the specific
> language? I have the impression that lisp dialects are very diverse, while
> looking similar the differences are very consequential and no useful
> programming can be done without studying them, maybe even more so than the
> many languages which follow C syntax style.

you're right, every language contains itself a "deviation" of its own
family and at the end you must learn special features of a concrete
dialect, so there's no common knowledge you can learn applicable to all
language dialects. But there's stablished traditions and there're formal
theory you should comply with.   I think quote behaviour is one of them and
also list application.

regards