The old picolisp file structure had ~/.../lib/edit.l and .../lib/el which
is no longer the case. That functionality went somewhere else? And yet both
the melpa plist-mode and the tj64/picolisp-mode have inferior-plist.el and
inferior-picolisp.el respectively which refer to edit.l -- again, not there
anymore. This is no doubt the whole issue. For example in
picolisp-mode/inferior-picolisp.el

..(defvar picolisp-emacs-as-editor-p nil
  "If non-nil, use `eedit.l' instead of `edit.l'.")...

(typo?) and

..             (if picolisp-emacs-as-editor-p
                 (cons "@lib/eedit.l" (cdr cmdlist))
               (cons "@lib/edit.l" (cdr cmdlist)) ) ) ) )...

(typo?) appears in both inferior*.el files. I don't know what this is about
or what the new way of doing it might be.

--
⨽
Lawrence Bottorff