Ok I understand that.
But when I have a hexadecimal message string with fixed length, and the
positions inside the string carry semantics? A certain value in a certain
position has a meaning?

Say fixed length is 96 like in the example above, and 2323 ist two start
chars, and then 01 or 02 is a handshake.

And this message has to be translated to ASCII to be understood by a third
party, that sends ASCII answers back, that has to be translated to hex.

This does not work when a round-trip conversion of 232301 results in 23231.

Tomas Hlavaty <picolisp@software-lab.de> schrieb am Di., 13. Feb. 2024,
07:49: