It's Friday evening, so I have some time to discuss philosophy ;-)

Before we discuss any question about revisiting pig philosophy, the
first question that needs to be answered is "what is pig" ? (this
corresponds to the Hindu philosophy's basic argument, that any deep
personal philosophical investigations need to start with a question
"koham?" (in Sanskrit, it means 'who am I?'))

So, coming back to approx 4000 years after the origin of that
philosophy, we need to ask "what is pig?" (incidentally, pig, or
varaaha in Sanskrit, was the second incarnation of lord Vishnu in
hindu scriptures, but that's not relevant here.)

What we need to decide is, is pig is a dataflow language ? I think
not. "Pig Latin" is the language. Pig is referred to in countless
slide decks ( aka pig scriptures, btw I own 50% of these scriptures)
as a runtime system that interprets pig Latin, kind of like java and
jvm. (Duality of nature, called "dwaita" philosophy in sanskrit is
applicable here. But I won't go deeper than that.)

So, pig-Latin-the-language's stance  could still be that it could be
implemented on any runtime. But pig the runtime's philosophy could be
that it is a thin layer on top of hadoop. And all the world could
breathe a sigh of relief. (mostly, by not having to answer these
philosophical questions.)

So, 'koham' is the 4000 year old question this project needs to
answer. That's all.

AUM...... (it's Friday.)

- (swami) Milind ;-)