Hey,

Thanks for writing up these notes, they're very useful.

Pradeep Kamath gave a short presentation on Howl, the work he is leading to
> create a shared metadata system between Pig, Hive, and Map Reduce.  Dmitriy
> noted that we need to get this work more in the open so others can
> participate and contribute.

Is there a public JIRA where one could follow this work? Any chance we can
break it up into incremental milestones rather than have a single code drop
as with previous large features in Pig? I understand it may be difficult to
coordinate internal development with external user groups, but I hope the
feedback from third parties might make such a process worthwhile.

There have been proposals in the past that Pig switch to generate Oozie
> workflows instead of MR jobs.  Alan indicated that he does not see the value
> of this.

I think https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1107 captures the spirit
of this idea without mention of Oozie. It would be good to either create a
corresponding Pig JIRA or reuse the Hive JIRA for the arguments for and
against the proposal. I can certainly imagine valid arguments for both
sides.

Thanks,
Jeff