On 06/12/2012 02:56 PM, James Jones wrote:
On 6/12/12 2:47 PM, Ian Romanick wrote:
On 06/12/2012 02:35 PM, James Jones wrote:
On 6/12/12 2:25 PM, Ian Romanick wrote:
From: Ian Romanick<ian.d.roman...@intel.com>

The spec doesn't forbid indirect rendering with OpenGL ES 2.0.
There's no protocol defined, so it seems impossible that this could
ever work.

NVIDIA's closed-source driver fails this test.  An indirect-rendering
ES2 context is created.  I have not verified whether this context is
actually usable, or it is garbage.

Yeah, I didn't test, but in theory it "just works" with the existing
GLX protocol, so I saw no reason to disable it.  Since GLX owns the
GL command protocol specification, not GL or GLES, and this extension
is creating contexts using GLX, I see no reason this should be
considered a required error.

So... how do commands like glReleaseShaderCompiler, glShaderBinary, and
glGetShaderPrecisionFormat, which have no GLX protocol, work?

They work just as good as the subset of GL commands that don't have
protocol defined today which many implementations (including ours) allow
contexts to be created for. I'm not saying it's correct that our

That seems dodgy. :)

implementation currently allows creation of GLES contexts that only
partially work (or maybe not at all for all I know), but I don't think
it's necessarily correct to require ALL implementations to fail either.
Presumably they could have their own in-house protocol in place.

For example, we implement "Beta" protocol for many GL operations
that  don't have ARB-defined protocol, because we have customers that want
indirect rendering support now and the ARB approval process often drags
on forever. It only works when using both our client and server, both
with beta protocol support enabled, but it is a usable solution and
doesn't violate the spec in any way that I know of.

Right. I knew you guys did that, and I can't think of anything wrong with that. That's why I didn't make a similar test for desktop GL. (see also http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2012-June/031602.html).

I think I'll rework the test to use the context that was created. If that works, the test will pass. Does that seem like a fair compromise?