On 2018-12-17 12:09:23, Eric Anholt wrote:
> Jordan Justen <jordan.l.jus...@intel.com> writes:
>
> > Although I doubt it generates much traffic, I wanted to try to convert
> > the https://piglit.freedesktop.org/ homepage into an 'auto-building'
> > gitlab branch.
> >
> > I think the current site was built by ikiwiki, but I was after
> > spending way more time that I hoped, I still was unable to reproduce
> > the site without lots of extra undesirable links.
> >
> > So, I tried converting it to sphinx. Of course, I expected it would
> > look somewhat different with sphinx. This change proved much easier,
> > and I think looks pretty good:
> >
> > https://jljusten.pages.freedesktop.org/piglit/
> >
> > The source code is here in this branch:
> >
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/jljusten/piglit/commits/website
> >
> > It is setup such that we could add a small 'website' branch to the
> > piglit repo. The branch's history would be detacted from the source
> > code history.
> >
> > Then, if we need to change the piglit website again, in, say a decade
> > or so :), it'll be a bit simpler.
> >
> > Does it look ok, and does it seem like an ok plan?
>
> Looks nice to me, only nit is the title is "Piglit 1 documentation" --
> where did that "1" come from?

Whoops. :) I guess the full title was "Piglit -- Piglit 1
documentation". If I set "html_title = None" in the config file, it
becomes "Piglit".

> I kind of like having the website in master so that some of the contents
> on the site can be documentation in-tree as well, but I'm happy with it
> at least being easily modifiable.

I can look into embedding it in master for piglit.

For waffle, we're looking at something kind of similar for the
website, but we also have the release tarballs in the website.
Therefore, we want to use a separate branch so the tarballs can use
git-lfs, and not be part of the main repo. With git-lfs the tarballs
are downloaded when you checkout the website branch, but not if you
just clone the repo.

-Jordan