On March 24, 2021 22:25:10 Rob Clark <robdcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 3:52 PM Jordan Justen <jordan.l.jus...@intel.com> wrote:

On 2021-03-23 09:38:59, Eric Anholt wrote:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 7:02 AM Jason Ekstrand <ja...@jlekstrand.net> wrote:

Trying to pick this discussion back up.  Daniel Stone thinks it's a
half hour of API bashing to retarget all the MRs so, if the fd.o
admins have some heads up, it should be tractable.  Should we do this
right after branching 21.1 along with the LTS branch?

+1

Jason,

I opened a related Mesa issue:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/4501

I made this change in crucible, and used a script to update the 7 MR
target branches:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/crucible/-/issues/5

As mentioned in the Mesa issue, I think we should use piglit as
another test run before changing Mesa:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/piglit/-/issues/50

Piglit currently has 60 open merge requests.

I'm in favor of branch rename, but was in the camp of "hope gitlab
comes up with a way to make this easy for us".. but as far as fallback
plan, converting trees with fewer outstanding MRs first seems like a
pretty good idea so solid +1 for that

If you read enough off the things, you'll see that Jordan wrote a python script that re-targets all the open MRs so that's not a manual process. It's not a GitLab-sanctioned solution but it's the next best thing. The one downside is that all the MRs will get their last updated timestamp reset but that seems like a pretty small price to pay.

Jordan, is there any way you can make the script sort by last updated before it re-targets the MRs so they at least stay in the same order? Updating them in MR # order wouldn't be bad either, I guess.

--Jason