Follow up for anyone needing this in the future:

It looks like you can safely change
~line 159 of pilerexport.c (in the run_query function) from:
char s[SMALLBUFSIZE];
char s[MAXBUFSIZE];
to get a longer SQL query with pilerexport (from 512 to 8192 characters)

But there should still probably be a more prominent error on the existing
mechanism when the query length exceeds the buffer length, as it currently
only fails in mail.log, and pilerexport itself appears to have just come
back with 0 matches.