Before I send in my code to the netpbm maintainer, I thought I'd put
out a little tar file for people to play with (and no doubt find
copious bugs in :-).  See

  ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/transient/janssen/pbmpalm.tgz

for code.  No autoconf; twiddle the Makefile.  I've been testing
against netpbm 9.9; YMMV against earlier versions.  I haven't really
tested the grayscale support recently, focussing mainly on color.

'ppmtopalm' and 'palmtopnm' support color, custom colormaps, RLE and
scanline compression, the transparent color, and everything else I
could find in the Palm OS docs.  No support for Handspring color
extensions yet.

Bill