>       First, you should *NOT* have "Redirect NetLib calls to Host TCP/IP"
> checked in the "on" position. Uncheck it.
>
>       Under Settings->Preferences->Communications->Serial Port, you should
> have /dev/ptyqe.
>
>       In your shell, the one you wish to communicate with POSE, type:
>
>       export PILOTRATE=57600; pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyqe -l
>
>       ...and do not press enter.
>
>       In POSE, go to Hotsync and tap the Hotsync icon, making sure that
> the list dropdown is set to Direct Serial (under the activation icon). Wait
> one full second, then go to your terminal and hit enter. You should see a
> list of applications/files going by.

I followed this procedure but I still just get
  Port: /dev/ttyqe

   Please press the HotSync button now...

>       In my case, I'm running devfs without devfsd (much faster without
> it) and my ports are /dev/pty/m30 for the Serial Port, and /dev/pty/s30 for
> the local shell definition (pilot-xfer -p /dev/pty/s30). Both devices are
> major 3, minor 30.

How do I examine these issues? On my system, a locate devfs shows kernel header files
   /usr/include/linux/devfs_fs.h
   /usr/include/linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h
   /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux/linux/devfs_fs.ph
   /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux/linux/devfs_fs_kernel.ph
   /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h
   /usr/src/linux-2.2.19/include/linux/devfs_fs.h
   /usr/src/linux-2.2.19/include/linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h

devfs doesn't correspond to any active process.

In xconfig for my kernel 2.2.19 #7 SMP, I have
        standard/generic (dumb) serial port turned on, and
        support for console on serial port turned off
        extended dumb serial driver options turned off

dmesg doesn't contain any tty reference. How do I get more information
about my serial port(s)?

> /d
>
>       Port speed is important in this pseudo connection. If it's too high,
> you'll get nothing back (a "lockup" condition) and if it's too low (like
> 9600), you'll get 'weird packet' errors. 57600 works well out of the box.

I tried 57600 to start, I also tried 38400, 19200, and 9600.

> /d
>       On my system, that device doesn't exist until after I hit Hotsync in
> POSE. If I create the device manually, then cancel Hotsync, the actual
> device inode is removed. Not exactly desired, but it's pseudo, so.. that may
> be just a devfs thing.

>From /dev, I have
   crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        2,  30 Oct 30 08:57 /dev/ptyqe
   crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        3,  30 Aug 24  2000 /dev/ttyqe

-Mark