Hi,

  Sorry for this possibly newbie question :-)

  I am trying to synchronize my m500 Palm under Linux with the USB
  craddle, using software such as Coldsync, and the visor.o module from
  Linux 2.4.16.

  I am however experiencing a most annoying problem. To have the Palm
  "seen" by my kernel, I have to press the Hotsync button on the
  craddle, and the Palm then waits for a sign from the computer. I then
  start coldsync, for instance, which _asks me_ to press the hotsync
  button, without noticing the Palm. Naturally, as this is already done,
  nothing happens, and if I cancel the wait, the kernel ceases to see
  the Palm ...

  This is the log when pressing the hotsync button :

Nov 28 01:38:09 lise kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device
number 2
Nov 28 01:38:09 lise kernel: usbserial.c: Palm 4.0 converter detected
Nov 28 01:38:09 lise kernel: visor.c: Palm 4.0: Number of ports: 2
Nov 28 01:38:09 lise kernel: visor.c: Palm 4.0: port 1, is for Generic use and is
bound to ttyUSB0
Nov 28 01:38:09 lise kernel: visor.c: Palm 4.0: port 2, is for HotSync use and is
bound to ttyUSB1
Nov 28 01:38:09 lise kernel: usbserial.c: Palm 4.0 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
(or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
Nov 28 01:38:09 lise kernel: usbserial.c: Palm 4.0 converter now attached to ttyUSB1
(or usb/tts/1 for devfs)

  And when canceling :

Nov 28 01:39:15 lise kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
Nov 28 01:39:15 lise kernel: usbserial.c: Palm 4.0 converter now disconnected from
ttyUSB0
Nov 28 01:39:15 lise kernel: usbserial.c: Palm 4.0 converter now disconnected from
ttyUSB1

  Coldsync says nothing but "Press the hotsync button ..." if the Palm
  is present, and "Invalid device" when not.

  Of course, everything works with the serial cable ...
  Does all this mean that my PC is simply unable to connect to the Palm using
  USB ?

  Thanks for advice ...

--
Thomas Seyrat.