I read your previous post again and noticed that you're using kernel
2.4.3.  You need to upgrade, since visor.o didn't support Palm m50x
until kernel 2.4.6 (I think).

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 03:11:55AM +0330, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I installed visor module with "modprobe visor" successfuly, but I
> couldn't understand what did you mean by:

> > visor.o module will show the actual two devices assigned to your Palm --
> > you'll need the second one.
>
> then I plugged the USB cable, the symlinked /dev/ttyUSB1 as /dev/palm,
> how should I find out which ttyUSB is the one I have connected my Palm
> to?

When I press the HotSync button on the cradle, I see the following lines
appearing in your /var/log/messages:

  kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 20

(This "assigned device number" changes every time and is irrelevant)

  kernel: usbserial.c: Palm M500 converter detected

(It should read M505 in your case -- after you upgrade your kernel)

  kernel: visor.c: Palm M500: Number of ports: 2
  kernel: visor.c: Palm M500: port 1, is for Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0
  kernel: visor.c: Palm M500: port 2, is for HotSync use and is bound to ttyUSB1
                                                                         ^^^^^^^
This is what I had in mind                                               |||||||

  kernel: usbserial.c: Palm M500 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for
devfs)
  kernel: usbserial.c: Palm M500 converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for
devfs)

BTW the following two lines are

  /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Modprobe and setup visor for USB product 830/1/100
  /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Module setup visor for USB product 830/1/100

but these messages come from hotplug and are not strictly necessary.
Still, once you get coldsync working, it is quite convenient to create a
shell script named /etc/hotplug/usb/visor containing

  #!/bin/sh
  su your_username -c "coldsync"

and then coldsync will be started automatically whenever you press the
HotSync button.

Marius Gedminas
--
Apologies for taking up the bandwidth with the apology.  Anything else I
can apologise for ...... er no can't think of anything, sorry about that.