"David A. Desrosiers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>       In researching the best option to normalize the amount of arguments
> we pass to the current pilot-link conduits, three possible avenues came to
> light: getopt(), getopt_long(), and popt(). Each has their own benefits and
> advantages.

>       I'm open to using anything, but portability and flexibility are
> absolute requirements.

You might also want to look at argp. It's main strength is that
libraries can define argument parsers, which programs using the
libraries can easily combine with their own argument parsers.

It's included in glibc, and (unfortunately) is built on top of
getopt_long, which means that it's using some global variables.

I have a version that I have ripped out of glibc, and which I have
also hacked to not depend on getopt(_long).

The best description on how to use argp is in the glibc manual.

Regards,
/Niels