Ellis replied:
"........Anna Atkins used Talbots photogenic
(shadowgraph) process, this really only gives a outline of the article
placed on sensitive paper. This still leaves Talbots book to be the first to
provide photographs as recognisable images".

This is Pandora's photographic box we are lifting the lid on Ellis  - It all
comes down to how inclusive one's definition of  what a 'photograph' is.
I'm totally in awe of Anna Atkin's remarkable achievement - to print and
publish a book, photographically illustrated with 424 photogram-cyanotype
images in 1843.
Ray