----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Heather" <rheat...@slonet.org>
To: <pinhole-discussion@p at ???????>
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 1:34 AM
Subject: Re: [pinhole-discussion] The next Epson scanner after the 2450?

> I have a 2450. The resolution at 2800 gets grain with most films. Unless
you
> shoot TechPan or Kodachrome 25 I doubt more rez will improve the image.
> Somehow TriX 5x7 (inches!) seems grainier than 35mm.
> Richard Heather

That actually is good, "the grainier the film looks" the better the scan is
(if that grain is the actual grain of the negative). Higher resolutions are
not used to "improve" the image but to capture the image the way it actually
is.  BTW, you also see the film grainier if you see it with a enlarger
focuser, it is the same thing.  Remember that when you scan at a resolution
of 2450 DPI, your monitor, assuming the resolution is 1024x768, can only
display a rectangle 0.3 by 0.4 inches of the total area of the film,   it is
the equivalent of enlarging your 5x7 to 80x114 inches size.

Guillermo