> Never, never, never, ever be a slave to technology.
>
> Talk 2 U L8R,
> Jasper Taylor
>
> --- andy schmitt <aschm...@warwick.net> wrote:

Jasper,

I was a slave to my chemicals last night as I developed some 4x5's in my
darkroom.  My master controls my weekends and some of my weekday evenings.
But my work master pays me money so I can give it to my photo master so he
can torture me some more.

>> is not!!
>> 8*D
>> andy

Andy

Is!!

>Silver printed pinholes on the other hand are much harder to control.  With
>silver if I want each final image to be of the same quality the setup and
>recording takes time and effort.  It can take me a whole day to produce one
>print.  With digital it can take me less than one hour (from a silver
>negative, that is) and I am assured that every subsequent print will be
>identical.  If then I want to do some fancy work on the image with digital
>it is simple, with silver it is a challenge and time consuming.
>
>Alexis

Alexis

And there is another thing I try to avoid, editions.  I know it's what photo
sales are based on, but I feel even though you can reproduce the same image
again and again, you don't have to.  Each time I am in the darkroom I am in
a different mood, so I am not going to print the same.  I never write down
the exposure time or the filter or the developing time or any of that stuff.
I do what moves me at the time.  But at the same time I don't limit myself
to an edition of 25.  I can print the same negative a thousand times in a
thousand different ways to please myself.  But I also have never been
represented by a gallery or sold a print.  Unless you consider the donation
print I gave to Visual Aids that sold for $50.

And I love time consuming.  I have a fear of boredom.  Bored is what I am
all day at work, so I spend hours writing emails to discussion groups and
surfing the web.

Lisa