We are discussing this via a digital medium. To a certain extent, that will force a certain amount of digital photography to be used. Specifically, if we want to share our images with the hundreds (how many current members are there? George?) of members of this list, the only practical method requires a digital version of the image. So some discussion of digital matters is a necessary evil.

Over all, the digital discussions tend to be short lived. (The "what kind of scanner should I get?" and "Does xyz ink process make good B&W inkjet prints?" threads don't last much more than a week, usually.) With proper subject lines they can be skipped by those not interested.

I have no access to a darkroom. I wish I did. (I practically lived in the darkroom during college, in the mid 1970s...) As a result, the digital darkroom is my only alternative. I am not yet happy with my current scanning and printing hardware, so I don't use it for PRINTING my pinhole shots (which are mostly on Polaroid). I use scanning to share pinhole images, though.

Mike Vande Bunt

I Zarkov wrote:

Lisa has expressed exactly my apprehensions about what I read here daily about the marriage of the digital with the pinhole. I began doing pinhole 12 years ago because I was already at that point disgusted with the critical discourse that was then emerging as to how digital imagery would replace film and what the inherent nature of the photographic art was, if indeed there is such a thing as an 'inherent' nature of this process of image making. There seem to be multiple issues implicit within this discussion: the nature of the recording matrix, film vs. hard drives & memory sticks, the medium of display: paper vs. cathode ray tubes; the capture device: lenses vs pinhole; as well as ink vs light sensitive salts, photons vs 0's & 1's, Pythagoreans vs Neo-Platonists [well, maybe] alchemists vs. positivists. While I understand entirely the allure that the digital choice offers, I've never been able to shake the feeling that the prime reason for my doing pinhole work was to restore the 'aura' to the photographic print that Walter Benjamin says was lost to photography in his essay "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" There is nothing about using digital media that reinvests the print with that sense of the unique that chemical image making allows, especially when one is involved with elaborate bleaching and toning 'post-processing' of the print. I feel that the fundamental difference between digital and wet photography has more to do with our understanding of and complicity with time in the art-making process more than the media of reproduction and that digital manipulation of images further subverts a correspondence relationship between an external world and what is presented as a photographic truth. The conundrum to all of this discussion is that this dialogue/disagreement would not be possible without our computers, networks, CRT's or plasma screens and software galore. It's too darn hard to throw a 'sabot' into the CD-ROM drive.
Peter
'Down, Photoshop, down. BAD dogma!'