I recently saw lightjet prints for the first time.
They are beautiful. Someone here has suggested that
they are not good for B&W because of a limited tonal
response at the black end of the scale. I don't know
if that is true, but for color, the prints are
stunning. My understanding is that the print is made
on traditional color print paper using the same
chemicals always used. What is different is that the
exposure is made using digitally controlled color LEDs
that pixel-by-pixel expose the paper. The result is a
traditional color print with the advantage of the vast
control offered by digital technology in making the
exposure (by adjustments to the digital data in the
file controlling the printer). This looks like a very
useful technology for people working in color. People
definitely ARE exhibiting these prints in juried shows
and doing very well. Prints of poster size from 35mm
negatives looked indistinguishable from traditional
prints.

Black and white seems to be another issue. It is
certainly possible to create ordinary silver prints in
an enlarger (etc.) using a negative that has been
created from digital data (an extra step that the
Lightjet technology does not require). I haven't tried
this, but there are books (and Internet articles) on
the subject of handling the data in order to get good
output. Once a good negative is achieved, the printing
process is identical with traditional processes and
the result (a silver print) also should be the same
(assuming the negative has been done properly). The
beauty of this is that all the dodging and burning is
done once in the computer and embedded, so to speak,
in the digital data so that no maniplation is later
required with the negative in the enlarger. I have
seen color positives made this way as an intermediate
step for commercial printing. If done correctly, the
output I've seen shows no pixelation or other evidence
of digital artifacts, but I have never actually seen
an "art" print made for exhibition and on photographic
paper (as opposed to commercial printing--book covers
etc.) from a digital negative or positive, color or
B&W. If anyone has, I'd be interested to know what
they thought.

The piezography technique for B&W is essentially a
high-quality inkjet printer using archivally sound
inks. I have seen these exhibited as well, and what I
have seen is, for the most part, beautiful, but these
are not silver prints. I wonder about the need to
worry about that. I haven't made up my mind, but tiny
dots of ink on paper forming an image is really no
more mechanical or any less authentic, it seems to me,
than tiny specs of tarnished silver doing the same
thing. The critical question in my mind is whether the
digital printing can match the subtletly we KNOW
silver is capable of. It is not at all clear to me yet
that that is the case. To go back to the above, I get
the feeling from what I have seen that Lightjet for
color is capable of matching ordinary color printing
(although I have not seen nudes done with the Lightjet
technology (see below)).

I was so impressed by what I saw at a recent show
including both Lightjet color prints and B&W
piezzography prints that the following day I took a
B&W negative and a master print to the shop that did
the work I saw to have an example done to see how well
the process fit my own work. So far, I've had a high
resolution scan made (creating a 66Mb B&W file--the
equivalent of a 200Mb color file at the same
resolution) and looked at proofs on high-quality rag
printmaking papers.

The exhibited prints I saw were great. My own work, so
far, has looked disappointing. I am having one of my
nudes done and, so far, my impression is that delicate
skin-tone gradations may be just beyond the limits of
the process. Note that I am talkin about VERY small
differences, here, but at close quarters, the print
looks noticeably less subtle than the master (silver)
print. I have not seen the final output yet (in a
couple of days). I will report back. I suspect that
landscape and other subjects put less "stress" on the
tonal separation than do large expanses of flesh (and
perhaps Lightjet color nudes would be disappointing as
well).

Anyway, I hope that is helpful to the person who
posted the original question about silver prints from
digital files.

Colin