--- "Fox, Robert" <r...@aarp.org> wrote:
[clip]
> Are there any practical reasons to shoot at 4x5 rather than 8x10?  I suppose
> it would be easy enough to do both, but I'm wondering about people's
> preferences for architectural and portrait work. The multi-format Zero2000
> looks like a good starter as well given the choice of formats for standard
> roll film.

8X10 film is four times more expensive than 4X5 film (makes sense).  The bulk
of an 8X10 camera, along with the slide holders, make things much more
difficult to work with.  Then again, if you are going to use an alternative
process to print, then you will probably want a larger negative to work with.
I've got some examples at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/Projects/BearSkins/BearSkins.htm if you
would like to take a look.

An alternative to regular 8X10 film is to use halftone film of that size, which
costs considerably less.  The image "Jimmy" (found at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/Pinhole/Images/PinholeImages.htm) was made
with this film.

I would also direct you to the Pinhole FAQ located at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/Pinhole/Articles/FAQ/pin_faq.htm.  There you
will find enough information to get you going in the right direction.

Cheers -

george

=====
Handmade Photographic Images - http://GLSmyth.com