According to the theory of the great Ansell Adams the contrast of film may
be adjusted with a combination of exposure time and development time. The
master discribes this in his writings on the so called zone-system (I think
"The Negative, N.Y.Graphic Society").
A longer exposure and shorter development time will result in a lower
contrast. On the cotrary a shorter exposure time with a longer development
time enhances the contrast.
Mr. Adams perfected this system to such an extend, that he was capable of
defining the contrast in the final print during exposure (with an
accompanying devellopment-time in mind, even using filters).
He printed his positives always with the same exposure- and
development-time, on the same grade of paper.
That asked and asks for the making af trial exposures.

This can be done by taking a photograph of a white towel at the standard
time as indicated by a standard procedure (following for example sensitivity
and apertuere on a light meter, , that gives you an exposure time. Write
this time down, for example 16 seconds. This is Exposure time 1.
The printed result should give a result af 18% reflection = neutral grey
card.
If you have found this time (you should follow exactly the right
temperarures and development-time given for your printing paper), you have
the beginning. Remember to write down the exposure- time for the paper
print.
This is exposure time 2 and will not change for the period of your testing.
It must be  clear that you should not change any filter, if any filter is
used, using MC, nor in exposing nor in printing during this research.

1
Now make exposures of half, a quarter etc. and twice etc. the found time
with your pinhole of the same towel in the same light level (artificial
(day-) light may be most consitent (flash).

A good range is 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 second.

Print them all with exposure time 2 and develop under the same
circumstances as before.
Put the results in a successive row from light to dark.
Count the number of different greys you see, Mr. adams called this zones.
According to what you write you se too limited a number af different greys
in your result.

Now do exactly the same experiment twice (step 2 and 3).

2
In the first case under-expose your negative 50% in the first case. Over
develop 30% time (keep all conditions unchanged, only vary with
exposure-time and development time.
Print according to the found procedure using time 2 for the printing
exposure time.
Place the results in a successive row from light to dark.
Count the number of different greys you see.

3
Do the same by over-exposing 50% and developing 30%. Print according to the
found procedure using time 2 for the printing exposure time.
Place the results in a successive row from light to dark.
Count the number of different greys you see.

You will notice more zones in 2 than in experiment 1 and less zones in
experiment 3 than in 1.

Thus you can use the gained knowledge to adjust a combination af
exposure-time and development time to suit the contrast of your subject in
the print without changing time or filter in the printing stage.

I have only done this experiment with film, and not with paper-negatives.
But it should work.

May be some of our group will give their comments on my approach, so that we
can interact before the actual experiment takes place.