40 years ago the little white spots were caused by bubbles in the developer
bath.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????
[mailto:pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????]On Behalf Of peregoy
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 4:49 AM
To: pinhole-discussion
Subject: RE: [pinhole-discussion] white holes in negatives

<shannonsto...@earthlink.net> =====
>What causes negatives to get those little "holes" in them?

Most often this is caused by dust on the negative before the image is shot.
Try cleaning the room you load your film holders then cleaning your
holders with an antistatic brush.

I've heard that this sometimes can happen to ortho film if your using a
high activity developer and a acid stop bath. I've found that my large ortho
is very prone to static charges. As I pull it out of the box it slides
across
another sheet just building up static. This can act like a magnet and draw
dust from your darkroom down to the film. I sometimes wipe my orthos off
with a static cloth after inserting into my holders. I have had the best
results just keeping my darkroom and counter clean.

Kodak makes a paint called "opaque",  it comes in red or black and its
used for blocking out these holes. The red is for B&W films, the black for
color films. This will give you a black spot on your negative so that when
you print it you will have a white spot that is easy to retouch

Chris Peregoy
pere...@umbc.edu
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~peregoy