Jeff - I can't speak to the technical aspects of this but I have never
trusted these machines.  Whenever I travel I ask the insprectors to hand
check my camera bag by simpley telling them I have cameras and film in
the pack.  I have never had a problem.  The most I have gotten is a
question about a specific camera.  Make sure all of the cameras are
unloaded just in case someone wants you to open them.  You shouldn't
have any problems.  The last time I flew was just a month ago so this is
recent.
Cheers
Ray