Pinhole photography is not about "sharpness", it is about pinhole photography.

To put it another way (perhaps more clearly, perhaps not), it is not about how sharp the photo is and it is not about how unsharp the photo is. What it IS about is what the photo looks like. Sometimes being as sharp as possible helps, sometimes being blurry helps.

It is certainly true that the "optimal" size pinhole is a good starting point, but the photographer may need to use a different size to get the photo they want. Serendipity can be a great creative tool, but using the scientific tools that are available (such as the formulas) can work jus as well from a creative standpoint.

Note that I said "pinhole photography" above. "Pinhole camera making" is not always the same thing. Often, that IS about getting the sharpest photo possible. That is more of an engineering issue than a creative one.

The best answer that I can think of to the question "What size pinhole should I put in my camera?" is: Use the size that will produce the type of photo that you want. In other words, the answer is "That depends..."

Mike Vande Bunt
(WPPD2  #97)