I have an even simpler solution.  I have a small rectangle with
a 4x5 inch whole cut in it.  It looks like a little frame.  I hold this
up to my eye, and, voila, viewfinder!  My camera has a bellows,
so I am able to adjust the focal length to match my "eye to frame"
distance.  Works great, and helps me compose pictures before
I haul out my camera, and set up the tripod, etc.  I carry it on
a cord around my neck...

You could make this a little more precise.  Say if you have a 3 inch
focal plane camera, you could afix a small 3 inch cord to the frame.
That would help you ensure that your eye is the proper distance
from the frame, to match what your camera will "see" when it takes
your picture.