Dear Joao

I'm no mathematician but I think you will find that the parts of the film
nearest the pinhole will receive a greater amount of light for a given area
than parts of the film further away

This is because of the inverse square law, which states simply that the
radiation falling on a surface from a point source will decrease inversely
proportinally with distance by 1/xsquared where x is the distance.

This means that for every doubling of the distance from the source, the
amount of radiation reaching a given area is quartered (that is because the
same radiation has to cover four times the area  covered at half the
distance).

Imagine the area covered by a cone (of radiation if you like) - it is
actually easier to imagine this as a four sided pyramid, so I shall continue
with this visualisation.  The square at the base of the pyramid is 1 square
unit. The point of the pyramid is the source.  Radiation will reach the base
at a given rate, say one unit of radiation per second.

If you double the height of the pyramid, which is equivalent to doubling the
distance from the source of radiation, you will find that the base of the
pyramid is now four times the area of the first pyramid - four squares of
one unit each or one big square four times the area.

Now come the fun part.  The radiation reaching this larger square in a given
time is the same as that reaching the 1 unit square at half the distance.
That is to say, one unit of radiation per second.  But this time that one
unit has to cover four times the area as the radiation spreads out.

Therefore each square unit at double the distance recieves a quarter of the
radiation per second.  Therefore a doubling in the distance from a point
source of radiation results in one quarter of the radiation falling on one
unit area!

This explains why on wide angle pinhole photographs, the sides of the
negative come out less dense - because they are further away from the
pinhole and therefore less light reaches them per given time.  It is this
per given time that is all important when calculating exposures with focal
lengths etc.

Now, when the film is parallel to the plane of the pinhole, i.e. at the back
of the camera, normally the inverse square law has a small effect,
particularly if the angle of acceptance or vision is small.

However, if you put the film on the camera side walls, the effect becomes
very significant indeed.  The parts nearer the pinhole will need a
considerably shorter exposure that those further away.

This however, can be compensated for if the side wall of the camera are
short, that is to say, the camera has a short focal length.

Enough of theory, the thing is to EXPERIMEMT!

It is so much easier with pictures

By the way, the above explanation is an approximation because in real life
the base of the pyramid would be curved and not flat, but it is close
enought to get the picture - sorry no pun intended

Alexis