----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <hol...@duke.usask.ca>

> some quick questions for the zone plate experts.

I am not an expert nor claim to be one, but your questions are right up my
alley!!

> tedious. 1/2 hour for somewhat under-exposed negatives in direct afternoon
> sun.  I want to speed this up somehow.
> How much faster does a zoneplate work than a pinhole on average?

They are as fast as you want/make them to be, at a price tho.  The more
clear rings they have the faster they are, but the larger the noise/signal
ratio.

> I want to try making a zone plate for this and other cameras.  I was going
> to make the zone-plate on ortho film.  I am wondering if its possible to
> make one master zone plate image and project from an enlarger, this image
> onto another sheet of ortho to scale it up or down make zoneplates for
> diffferent focal lengths.

I think is doable, but I rather take pictures of a "paper zoneplate" at
different distances with a 35mm SLR camera.

> I guess this depends upon whether or not the zoneplate for different focal
> lengths is proportional the same.  Is it?  Or is the ring relationship
> unique for each focal length?

They are proportional.  If "B" is the intended ZP focal length, "A" is the
master ZP focal length and "C" is given by  C = B/A  then the ring diameters
formula for Zoneplate B will be:

D = Da * SQRT(C)

where Da = ring diameter for master zoneplate.

(complete explanation upon request)

> Is the "sharpness" of the zoneplate image governed by the number of rings?
> How close can one get the resolution of an image created with an ideal
> pinole diameter?

Very close, just reduce the # of rings until you are satisfied with the
sharpness, but then you are trading off "fastness" for "sharpness"

> My other question is has anyone had success creating and outputing these
> completely digitally -Is there a printer that can create a fine enough
> resolution image to make good zoneplates?

I think Zernike makes his ZPs digitally, don't hold your breath waiting for
him to contribute to this or any other thread, though (hope he proves me
wrong!!).  If I were to speculate. he may have a comercial image setter shop
giving him a complete sheet of film with lots of ZPs of different focal
lengths as output from a digital file he may produce with Corel or similar
program. I never seen one (digitally produced ZP) but I guess they have
jagged edges compared with "analog" made ZPs, that may or may not have any
consecuences on the final image they produce.  And no, I don't think a
consumer or low end comercial printer would work. Should you find the
opposite, let us know, pls.

Guillermo