From: pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????
[mailto:pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????]On Behalf Of Tom Miller
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 5:11 PM
To: pinhole-discussion@p at ???????
Subject: Re: [pinhole-discussion] slit cameras?

Hi Jane,

A slit is an elongated pinhole that, like a round pinhole, is an image
forming device.  A slit is about the same width as the diameter of a
pinhole, but can be up to 2.5" to 3" long for a 4x5 negative.  The
slit can be a straight line: horizontal, vertical or diagonal.  The
image formed will take the characteristics of the slit.  If the slit
is horizontal, the image will be wider than normal; if it vertical,
the image will be taller than normal.  The fun part of slit
photography is using curved and zig-zag and right-angle and
question-mark-shaped and other wacky slits.  Tf there are two slits
between the image and the film plane, the image will take on
characteristics of both slits.  This is the second and truly fun part.
The resulting images are so distorted!

There isn't a good description of slit photography that I've found on
the internet (yet).  Good descriptions of slit photography and great
resulting images are in the Pinhole Journal, vol 15 #1 and in Eric
Renner's book "Pinhole Photography, Rediscovering a Historic
Technique."  There's more about slits in the second edition than the
first.  Eric and Nancy at Pinhole Resource sell the Cardozo slit
camera on their website www.pinholeresource.com.  There is a picture
of the camera on their products page.

Tom