Try contact printing the dense negs to get a usable positive then scan the
positive. Use low contrast paper. Use intense light, even sunlight to expose the
print. Then develop to get some white highlights and grey shadows. Your scanner
can handle pale prints much better than dense negs. I have an 8x10 neg of a rock
at Point Lobos that is one of my favorites. However I have to give 1 min
exposure in bright roomlight to print rather than the usual 15 sec of stopped
down enlarger light. You can't tell by the print (still no grain in a contact
print).
Richard Heather