I used this theory to start with, (the difference between f-stops = number of
flashes) but i found it to be insufficient. i found that i got good results
from multiplying the difference by 1.5. (So; exposure = the difference of meter
reading and camera aperture x 1.5)
EG; meter = f-64, camera = f-283 'pops' = 18.
and also soft boxes are not good you need directed undiffused light this seems
to work better. I have to run a workshop on my theories as part of my course so
i will get back on the flash formula, and see if it accurate for more than just
my camera.
thanks for the replys, i'll check out the archives ;)

> From: "William Erickson" <erick...@ic.mankato.mn.us>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:53:14 -0500
> To: <pinhole-discussion@p at ???????>
> Subject: Re: [pinhole-discussion] pin hole and flash
>
> I used flash until I dropped the unit and broke the bulb. You need to meter
> the flash, obtain the f stop that will give good exposure with the flash
> placed where it is, then calculate how much smaller your aperture is than the
> aperture you obtained by metering, then flash it that many times. If the
> pinhole is 1/50 the area of the metered aperture, you will need to flash 50
> times to get the same exposure. On the other hand, pinhole is about play, so
> just play with it. Try hoding the flash close to areas you want to emphasize,
> further fronm the shadow areas, and do trials tom see how many flashes you
> need. there's some abut flash in Eric Renners book also.  From: Jarrard

I used flash until I dropped the unit = and broke the=20 bulb. You need to meter the flash, obtain the f stop that will give good = exposure with the flash placed where it is, then calculate how much = smaller your=20 aperture is than the aperture you obtained by metering, then flash = it that=20 many times. If the pinhole is 1/50 the area of the metered aperture, you = will=20 need to flash 50 times to get the same exposure. On the other hand, = pinhole=20 is about play, so just play with it. Try hoding the flash close to areas = you=20 want to emphasize, further fronm the shadow areas, and do trials tom see = how=20 many flashes you need. there's some abut flash in Eric Renners book = also. =20 From: Jarrard
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 = 3:51=20 AM
Subject: [pinhole-discussion] = pin hole=20 and flash

hello.
Im a photography student in New = Zealand, and i am=20 using pinhole photography as a major part of my projects, together = with=20 alternative printing emultions like callitype etc.
I have been working in the studio = using=20 flash  and was wondering if anybody has used this technique and = had much=20 success, and if they have and tips they could share. i have not been = able to=20 find any info on using flash with a pinhole camera anywhere and was = hopeing=20 that someone had.
Or if anyone is interested in my work = with=20 pinhole in the studio, i've had some pretty nice results, with a few = of the=20 images :)
If anyone knows the best sites to go = to for info=20 and such, i would greatly appertiate it :)
Thanks.