I have been using "insert nuts". These are the nuts set in furniture that you
have to put
together. I buy them in 20mm and 10mm sizes. the 10mm works well in 1/2 inch
lumber. To insert
mine I drill a 11/32" hole and drive the insert in with a 5mm hex key. I do
this from the side
that will be inside the camera. I then either tape over the hole or glue in
another small strip of
wood. I used to use T nuts but they sometimes pull out.