> i would like to keep this as "user-friendly" as possible.
> here are a few
> more questions i have come up with:
>
> -could i use a smaller film size to avoid the vignette? (is there a
> recommended size?)

Bryan, a couple of thoughts:  first, if you are using a large box as Guillermo
suggested (50 or 100 sheet boxes), the vignetting will not be a problem.  But
if you are using a 10 sheet box, there will be vignetting, but it that doesn't
mean it will look bad.  It will definitely give it a "pinhole" look.

If I were doing what you are planning to do, I would make a camera, make a
photo, evaluate it.

One possible way to avoid the vignetting (if you don't like it) might be to
provide balsa wood "risers" to lift the inside box away from the back of the
middle box.  These could be around .5 inches long, and perhaps .25" x .25".
Your users would have to glue these to the inside box corners.  Then you would
need to tape the box to be sure there are no light leaks.  The resulting photo
would have four black squares - one on each corner.  This is just off the top
of my head, but that's how I would approach it - experiment until you have what
you want, and can package it so others can reproduce it.  Of course, having to
glue the four balsa wood pieces might deter some.

> -would the box need to be tapped in someway to make it light-tight?

I never taped mine and never had any light leaks.  The 3 boxes form a
light-tight container.  But, if the planned use is a one-shot deal, it never
hurts to tape around the edge after the film is loaded.

> -do you have any advice on flim, lighting conditions, exposure times?

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  The short focal length will
result in a shorter exposure time, so you might want a slower film (less than
100 iso).  This would allow for capturing movement as a blur, etc.  But, if
your audience is more likely to expect a photo more like a conventional one,
you might want to go for a faster film and a really short exposure time.  Is
sending paper rather than film a possibility?  Will they be developing their
own film (or paper?) Paper might be a little easier to work with.  Are you
sending these to people who already know photography or people who know nothing
about photography?  That would make a big difference in what you decide.

As far as lighting conditions, if your users have never done pinhole before, I
would suggest that you advise them to start off in normal daylight, using some
suggested exposure based on what you work out with a particular film.  There's
considerable latitude in the exposure, so having a simple instruction like
"expose in bright sun for (x) seconds" should get them started.

There are several places to work out the pinhole size and exposure calculations
on the web.  I recommend Larry Fratkin's site at www.mrp at ???????.

> -am i asking too many questions? :o)

nope.