Lisa,
I start young students with the 35mm film cannisters pinhole
cameras.  I use a standard single paper punch to put a 1/4"
hole in the cannister.  We use soda cans, drill with a
needle driven into a 3/8" dowel(Thanks Stewart Woodruff),
into an eraser.  Then sand the burr created with fine
sandpaper and tape it over the hole.  A piece of electrical
tape is used for a shutter.  I too cut the paper ahead of
time and store in the safebox.  My older students start with
a Pringle's Snack ca(3.5"x5"format)spray with flat black
paint and follow a similar plan as the 35mm.  A great source
of cannisters is your local photo processing shop.  They
have been great about saving them for me.
Good Luck,
Chuck Flag