PARDON MY "UPPERCASING" JOHN, BUT YOU ARE SENDING "HTML" MESSAGES, SO I AM
WRITTING IN UPPERCASE TO DIFFERENTIATE THE ANSWER FROM YOUR POSTING.

----- Original Message -----
From: john yeo

A few days ago I made a pinhole body cap for my canon AE-1.  I made the
pinhole as small as I could, it ended up .0065 +/- .0005"  f/270.  Would
using one of the formulas to determine the optimal size work better for such
a small focal length?  Or does that only apply to longer focal lengths

FORMULAS APPLY TO ANY FOCAL LENGTH.   IMO, 0.0065 IS OPTIMUM FOR A MUCH
SMALLER FOCAL LENGTH SOMETHING LIKE 20mm.  THE FORMULA I USE  (D = 0.0073
SQRT(F) inches) GIVES 0.0097" AS THE DIAMETER TO USE FOR A 45mm FOCAL LENGTH
(I think this is what you have), SO I'D USE A 0.009" PINHOLE FOR AN  f/196
(or  f/180+1/4) AND I"D CONSIDER IT IS  f/180+1/2  OR EVEN  f/256 (pinhole
are more likely to be underexposed than over).

I walked to the post office and took the camera with me.  Just took pictures
of whatever.  I even shot some cars moving at 45mph!!!  All exposures except
for the first few were hand held.

YOU REALLY HAVE STEADY HANDS, I HAVE TO HANDHOLD ANYTHING SLOWER THAN 1/125
SECS!!

here's a scan of the contact sheet:
low res 64kb http://holgamods.blinkk.net/images/ph35cs-lowres.jpg
high(er) res 192kb http://holgamods.blinkk.net/images/ph35cs-hires.jpg

I"D BE NICE IF YOU CAN BLOW UP (8x10 perhaps) ONE OF THE FRAMES, SCAN IT AND
LET US SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, I'D CERTAINLY BE INTERESTED.

Guillermo