Hullo Pinholers

I have been subscribed to the list for some time now and I have greatly
enjoyed the discussion and images, especially the crackercam stuff. I
thought it was about time I joined in.

I first discovered pinholing during the final year of my degree in
Manchester where I was Inspired by a comment of a photographer friend of
mine that you could make a camera out of a drinks can.  Armed with only
that information I did several experiments and made a few good images and I
enjoyed the back to basics aspect of it particularly.

After graduation I moved to London (3 years ago) and dropped the hobby for
a time because I had no access to a darkroom.  The reason I have taken it
up again is because I recently moved into a new flat which has a wonderful
view over London and I also had nothing to put on the walls, so my mission
became to photograph aspects of the view but closer to the bulidings or
whatever and to decorate the walls with them.  (even cooler would be to
make the room into a camera and paste emulsion on the walls but it is a
rented place!) What better way than to make pinhole photos of these
subjects, so for about the last two months I have been messing around at
the weekends making cameras and taking pictures, I made my Bathroom into a
darkroom with a lightproof curtain (what was stopping me before?) Some of
the results are posted to the upload gallery (see below), I particularly
enjoy the warping of images that comes with curving the media.

Up to now I've been using paper negatives but I recently aquired a 5x7
sheet film holder and I intend to make a camera or two for it over
christmas.  I'll post the results when I do them.

Here are links to my uploads and I hope that you enjoy them:

http://www.p at ???????/discussion/upload/images/thallsouls.jpg

This was  a Manchester IRN BRU drink can image

http://www.p at ???????/discussion/upload/images/ththeview.jpg

This is the view from my window that inspired me BUT the main buildings are
too far away to be big in this picture.

http://www.p at ???????/discussion/upload/images/ththewalls_.jpg

The walls that I must fill with pinhole photos more spooky as a negative I
think.

http://www.p at ???????/discussion/upload/images/thbatchurch_.jpg

A church from the view (I'm not obsessed with churches OK) thats me in it
by the way.

http://www.p at ???????/discussion/upload/images/thlondeye.jpg

The London eye (also in the view from my window)

Sorry about the long message but I like people to know where I'm coming from.

expect more images in the new year

Merry Christmas

Tom Hawkins

PS Does anybody in the UK know a supplier of thin silver for pinhole making?

PPS Do count me in on any print swap!

Tom Hawkins
thomas.hawk...@ucl.ac.uk
Phone: 020 7679 4437